Thursday, June 11, 2009

Stepping Up and Moving On

Today was "Step-Up Day" for Cole, a chance spend a couple of hours getting acquainted with Mrs. Dudley, his classmates and his new school. Here he is with his entire kindegarten class - and Heather. Grant, the boy with dark hair was in his preschool class. The girl, I can't remember her name, was in his preschool, but in a different classroom.
It's not apparent in these pictures, but Cole was actually really excited about step-up day. He couldn't wait for snacktime and recess.

When step-up day was over at 11:00, it was time for me to come back to get Cole and we went to Wayne's classroom to see them perform a little play. Wayne had been talking about this for days and days. The play was called "Do You Live in a Nest?" He was a bat and used a Halloween costume that Martha had given us last fall. I was afraid that he would be too shy and self conscious and mumble his words, but I was so proud to see that he was actually very confident and spoke so clearly and loudly. The play was done in their classroom and there were two showings - one earlier in the morning for the third graders and the 11:00 performance for the 2nd graders and parents. Asom and Melanie, as bees I think, and Wayne in his bat costume.
After the play, Mrs. D asked parents to stay because she had some awards to hand out to her students. She gave Wayne an award for his "super knowledge of science, animals, and dinosaurs." She mentioned that whenever they have a scientific question, the class turns to Wayne for the answer, and that they all started to refer to him as Dr. Science. I never knew that.
Cole, Heather and I stayed for lunch. Wayne with his friends Ben and Lily.

Heather loved having lunch at school and drinking chocolate milk like a big kid - until she dribbled it all down the front of her white sweater and dress.
Last, half day tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. love dr. science!!!!!!!
    We will ask him lots of questions!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lost the comment I just wrote! Shucks!
    Loved the blog entry as was thinking of your boys today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Cole had a good day moving up. Wayne had a little play, I guess. I guess he's good in Science which is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Cole, on moving up to K!!! (Lots of kids look forward to snack and recess!)I bet you will love school. Wayne, looks like you did a great job with the play. How neat that you are a science-go-to guy at school. Isn't it so neat to have some cousins at the start, and some at the other end, like Lilly graduating from Cabot High tomorrow night. The full range!!
    SAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Science! A man after my own heart :-)
    We'll talk some science on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete