The Runaway Pond Bicentennial, planned by the Glover Historical Society, was a 3 day event. Each day was packed with events, and we have Dan, Chris, and Cedric to thank for many of these photos. Below, a play put on by the 6th graders at Glover School on Friday afternoon. It was called "Graveyard Ghosts."
Saturday started off with the race. I was at Wayne's baseball game, so unfortunately no photos of Matt finishing first. Congratulations Matt. Then, the children's parade: 
Ducks actually walking in the parade!
At the town hall, a quilt display.
This is Lisa pointing out the newly refurbished Spencer Chamberlain grave stone. I think she might have been pointing this out for the bus tour, but I'm not sure.
Joanie on the bus tour.
Church dinner Saturday night. Delicious italian food! After this, we all went over to the school for another student play. Wayne took pictures that I was planning to upload, but I can't find his camera.
Sunday at Runaway Pond Park, a rain soaked day, but no one seemed to mind. Wayne, Cole, and Heather investigate the new water wheel.
Shape note singers.
The canon shoot. That's Tyler to the far left.

Then, the moment Wayne has been waiting for: the results of the pie and cake contest. He really, really wanted to win and when he heard Gov. Douglas read his name for the first prize he started jumping up and down.
Lisa won first prize for the cakes. She modestly told the crowd, "I bought one of these cutting boards yesterday because I didn't think I would win."Cole was very upset that he did not win anything.

Wayne with his trophy. He took it to school to share at show and tell, along with a photo of Gov. Douglas shaking his hand.

Heather doesn't like anyone but me taking her picture, and Cole is obviously devastated by his defeat. Luckily, Aunt Lisa pulls him through by giving him her extra cutting board.

Joanie and the rest of the Glover Historical Society deserve a huge congratulations on their accomplishment. The entire weekend was a wonderful success - lots of fun and educational. There were so many events that I didn't get to attend so please all you, leave your comments to help fill in my gaps. It'll be fun to hear.

Joanie and the rest of the Glover Historical Society deserve a huge congratulations on their accomplishment. The entire weekend was a wonderful success - lots of fun and educational. There were so many events that I didn't get to attend so please all you, leave your comments to help fill in my gaps. It'll be fun to hear. 


I LOVED seeing Wayne jump up and down when he won the pie contest! That was one of the highlights of my weekend!
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU DARLENE!!!!! Hope that a. you find Wayne's camera and that b. your own camera dries out!
ReplyDeleteHey! I would have given first prize to Cole. But then, I'm a chocolate fiend.
ReplyDeleteThe Minuteman
I am still sore in my hips from trying to keep up with Martha's fast pace during the Runaway Pond Walking race!
ReplyDeleteJoanie did a great job on her guided bus tour. I never knew that Conley's sawmill was the site of the original Willson's mill.
The "museum" at the Dolan barn of Rt. 16 was well worth the stop. Hopefully, they will keep it up and running for Glover Day weekend in July, so more of you can see it.
Thank you Darlene for the photos and commentary..sure looked like a great time. I enjoyed seeing the quilts and desserts and hearing the shape singers!
ReplyDeletexo auntie Laura