Saturday, February 1, 2014

Weekends

Heather's weekend started Friday when I let her stay home from school. She wasn't very sick, but she's been coughing and stuffy all week. In the afternoons after school, I could see that she was feeling pretty run down, so I figured a day off would do her good.

We made a "tie dye" cake. She also frosted and decorated it, but I forgot to take pictures before we ate some of it after dinner.

We also cleared off a bit of the pond for skating.

Then today, Saturday, Wayne and Cole wanted to skate too.


We've been happy to get outside for a change after what seemed like endless sub zero and single digit days.
We made some treats for birds.


Wayne joined a music composing club at school. He worked on his piece for a while. He has an online mentor who gave this feedback:
" You're off to a fine start. You have an interesting combination of instruments and some very driving music. This piece has the potential to be highly successful.
Let me deal mostly with the instrumentation. You have bassoon in your score but no music for it. Do you plan on actually using the bassoon? It would make a fine complement and pairing with the flute and give you two woodwinds to go with the strings. If you do, think of it as a bass instrument.
All the parts are fairly low. The flute isn't in its best range to sound against the strings. For some of the time you might want to put it up an octave. It will look really high, but it will be easy for flute to play and it will stand out more. You can do the same thing for violin some of the time. The viola part is also quite low and its final note is out of range by almost an octave. You could instead give the entire part to cello and it would work very well right where it is. It's up to you, but if you stick with viola, you'll need to move the last note and possibly other parts up an octave. The bass, on the other hand, is very high. It will sound better if it's dropped an octave (except for the final note, which will need to stay where it is). Since it sounds an octave lower than written, it will be nice and deep but not that hard to read."   Wayne has since made some or all of those changes.

If you would like to hear Wayne's piece, click on either the red arrow or the grey arrow in the box below. The grey one works for me, the red one doesn't, for some reason. Wayne has named  it "Resonance." Note flight is the name of the music writing program. He will be working on it and adding to it in the weeks to come.


Cole ate homemade ice cream and watched Nova.


That's about as exciting as it gets around here these days!

8 comments:

  1. I would say life is pretty exciting at Elijah's place! Heather's cake reminded me of marbleized paper. Glad the weather is warm enough for all of you to skate! I heard Wayne's music composition at Joan's house and was VERY impressed. I am also happy to see that Cole likes NOVA and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that cake looks wild! Great job, Heather!!I wonder if today you are all shoveling off the pond again, or just making snowmen and snowballs....I just came in from a snowshoe and noticed it is perfect for that!
    Wayne, I just love your Resonance piece...liked it before and after, both versions. It is the neatest program, how you can watch it moving through the music as it plays. I wondered if a computer program "reads' your composition, and then automatically offers the suggestions, or if a real person responds. Either way, it is very very cool, and I think the composition club is just too cool for words.
    Cole, keep soaking up the science and who knows what things you will notice/discover/invent someday!!
    Darlene and Wes, you keep it all humming!!
    Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanie. He's a real Vermont person working with the VT MIDI Project and Opus 28. Here is his bio
    :Erik Nielsen is a full-time professional composer who lives in Brookfield, Vermont. His works have been performed in Canada, Europe, Asia, South America and Australia as well as many locations in the United States including the Kennedy Center and Carnegie Recital Hall. His music has been performed by many ensembles both within and outside Vermont. He has won awards and grants from ASCAP, the National Symphony Orchestra, the Vermont Arts Council, the Vermont Community Foundation and the Kittredge Fund. He has taught music composition and theory for over 20 years. He is Senior Composition Mentor with the Vermont MIDI Project. He also teaches music theory and composition with the Vermont Youth Orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Darlene...That is incredible to have a composer listen to it and offer suggestions...and that he is from VT is very inspiring!!
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene, could you excuse me from school, too? I am glad that the kids are able to skate on the pond!! I only skated for the first time this week, on a rink made at the village green! Love Heather's cool cake and bird treats! The treats remind me of the energy bites recipe that Sarah H gave me. I could eat those bird treats? Wayne's composition is really neat!! Very high tech! The on line teacher gave a lot of feedback! Wow, I could hardly keep up with it! So proud of your kids and all the creative things they do!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the marble cake Heather. It must have been fun to bake AND eat!! And the bird treats with their cookie-cutter star shapes. The birds around your home must feel very lucky! I loved Wayne's composition….move over Bach!! I was most interested in following the violin part. Someday when you conduct it in front of an orchestra, think about adding your old Aunt Mary to the violin section! I love that Cole has such an interest for all things scientific. What a great mom you are Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just seen this blog post and am absolutely stupefied and amazed. #1: Heather can bake, and skate. The modern gal. #2: Cole can ate homemade ice cream AND study science, simultaneously. #3: As a Mom who spends every single day wrangling kids playing music, I am duly, duly impressed with Wayne, his motivation, the music composing group at school, and the VYO professor who gives Wayne individual heavily detailed feedback on his composition. Once again, Darlene, you, as the Mom driving all this stuff, dwarf me. VERY impressive.

    ReplyDelete