Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day 2015

Wayne and Cole played in the marching band for the Orleans and Albany Memorial Day parades.
There are a ton of saxophone players in the middle school band.
Can you find Cole?



At the ceremony in Albany, Wayne played taps after the salute. Off camera, in the distance, you can hear another trumpeter playing the echo. After doing a little reading about "Taps" I learned that the echo version is somewhat controversial. Some veterans think it should only be played by a lone bugler.

Below is a video Wayne watched one evening after practicing, to understand the history and origin of Taps. It's pretty interesting and just under 7 minutes, so thought I'd share it here.


I'll close by remembering my Dad. Not only is today Memorial Day, but also his birthday.



3 comments:

  1. Darlene, I didn't know it was your dad's birthday--what a lovely tribute to him, and the picture of him and his gravesite. This taps must have been so special for you.
    Wayne did such a good job, and it was special to see both Wayne and Cole marching and playing!!
    It was a wonderful little parade and ceremony!
    We enjoyed that video about the origin of taps! Hard to have a dry eye.
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special that both Wayne and Cole marched and played in the band and then Wayne got to play taps. Your father was a very handsome man, Darlene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over the # of saxophonists!
    Thank you Wayne for that nice playing of taps! Darlene great photos of your Dad & his gravesite!.

    ReplyDelete