
Wes's sister Julie came to Vermont from France for two weeks, and spent the better part of her time here getting our household ready to move. She called me a few weeks ago and said,"When I'm in Vermont, I'm going to avail myself to you to and do whatever needs to be done to get you guys ready to move, because I won't be able to be there when the BIG move really happens." I figured she'd spend a couple of afternoons here helping box things up, and maybe watch the kids once in awhile so I could go through things and pack things away. That wasn't exactly how it went.
It was a dusty, unglamorous job, but Julie threw herself into it like no one else could. She shoveled her way into every closet in the house and sorted through 10 years worth of memories. The advantage of having someone besides me do this is that it offers perspective and objectivity. She's hold up a drawing Cole made when he was three and say, "Do you need to keep this?" I'd say, "Yes." She'd put it in the "keep" pile. She'd hold up the tattered Goodnight Moon board book that Wayne had chewed apart when he was 9 months and say, "C'mon. You really need to keep this?" I'd say, "Yes. Look at those little teeth marks." She'd put it in the throw away pile.
Eyes watering, and sneezing Julie would haul things out from under beds. She found lots of socks that had been missing. Books, clothes and baby toys to be sorted, donated and packed. She bravely spent a day in Wayne and Cole's room discarding broken toys and convincing Wayne that she could pack the pumpkin carving kit because he wouldn't need it for several more months. She somehow convinced them to pare down their overflowing toy box and decide which things they really wanted to keep and which things they could donate to Salvation Army or the local library. She even bulldozed through the dumptrucks, tractors, wiffle balls, fishing poles, water toys, and God only knows what else in the garage.
Our house looks so good now, I almost want to stay here. (Just kidding)
Thank you, Julie. I couldn't have done any of this without you.

So glad Julie was able to help you so much! Yes, she is an "Alexander" who are hard working and good at organizing. I am so glad she was able to help you as I know how hard it is to do with three little ones.
ReplyDeleteJulie is the best!
Dear Darlene and lovely family,
ReplyDeleteImagine my delight when Julie offhandedly mentioned at Caitrin's wedding that you had started a blog as well!
I haven't had internet in forever, but quickly decided to divert my attention at work to your beautiful family!!
I just finished reading all of your blog posts, and I wish we lived a little closer so I would get to know Wayne, Cole, and Heather more, but I love getting to hear about all of their many adventures and look at their silly, beautiful, hilarious pictures. (I laughed out loud so much that my coworker had to come over and exclaim over some pics...)
I will definitely be an avid fan from now on ^_^
Can't wait for Glover Day!!
Take care,
Eliza
It is true, Julie did throw herself into the project, lock, stock and barrel, and got so much done. Great work, Jules!! and you got to spend so much time with W, C & H.
ReplyDelete