Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Afternoon at the Pond

Every trip to the pond is like a scientific field trip.  Aside from the usual frogs, we never know what we might find.  Below, Heather and Cole examine a frog that Wayne caught.
It didn't stay in that tub for long before escaping back to the "safety" of the pond. Spike tries to show his alleged Retriever genetics.

Well, maybe not.  He doesn't like to go into the water much deeper than this.  His German Shepherd genes make him keep his feet on the ground. Swim, Froggy. Swim!

Swamp milkweed.

And now for the ugliest thing I have ever seen in my life.  We had to Google it to find out that it's literally called a Giant Waterbug. Some people call it a Toe Pincer because it will bite if it feels threatened. It's probably about as long as my thumb, and I think it's a baby.  I don't like knowing that this kind of thing exists so close to here I live, although aside from pinching toes, I guess it's relatively harmless.

A more pleasant topic, Wayne had a soccer game this evening.

He was one of the youngest and smallest kids on the field.  Look at those two brutes from the red team.

Here's Wayne getting clobbered by the brutes.
The red team was much better and much bigger. They won 2 or 3 to 0 or something like that. I don't really pay that much attention but don't tell Wayne that.

**No frogs, giant waterbugs, or boys were harmed during the creation of this blog post.**

5 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I am glad Wayne didn't get hurt by the brutes! Are they all the same age? And was that bug in Shadow lake? I might think twice before jumping in next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene, your photos are wonderful! Even the water bug, but also glad that Shadow Lake probably doesn't have those!! We grew up swimming in Lee River, and having to pull off blood suckers!! ugh! Wayne may not be a brute, but in one of your photos, he is hell bent on running to get the ball! Way to go Wayne. Love that all of your kids love science, AND frogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee, the brutes range in age from 8 to I think 12, so it's quite a spread. This is the first year he's been old enough to play in this league, so he's really inexperienced.

    The Giant Waterbug was in our pond. I learned that they don't necessarily stay in the water. They can come out and fly around and are attracted to bright lights at night, so it creeps me out to think that they are out there. GROSS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those boys on the other team do look big compared to Wayne, and I thought he was tall! Hope Wayne didn't get hurt in the clobbering.

    I loved the picture of the three kids on the dock with Heather inspecting the frog in the basin. Also, loved the picture of the two boys on the dock with obvious delight on their faces watching Spike try to retrieve the frog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, Darlene, your photography skills are incredible. Move over Julie (from Juile and Julia), here comes Darlene's Blog (in other words, I think you should consider publishing them all some day- for the photography and your written captions!).
    Love,
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete