Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Best Days of May

After a lot of cold, wet days, we are enjoying the sunshine this weekend!

Heather and I do not have preschool on Fridays, so we had a nice day all to ourselves. Heather decided it would be a good day for a picnic for herself and some of her stuffed animals.

She spent the rest of the afternoon in our new hammock reading books to her stuffed animals. (This is between the two pear trees.)

On Saturday, Heather had a tball game, Wayne had a baseball game, and then Wes took the kids to Addy's graduation party. I went home with a lot of plans for yard and garden work, but what I really did was a whole lot of sitting on the porch with Spike and Patches.  Anyway, it sounds like the party was a lot of fun. All W,C, and H could talk about was Martha's pool. Congratulations to Addy.

On Sunday, Cole and I decided to spend some one-on-one time. I feel like I never get to do this with Cole. We wanted to go for a bike ride, and we thought we would beat the heat by going early in the morning. However, by 8:30 it was already getting uncomfortably warm.

We went up Perron Hill...
 ...and across the swamp road...


 ...which comes out by this farm on the Shadow Lake Road.  This horse was friendly as can be.  As we were riding by she came eagerly to the fence so we stopped to visit. 
 I don't know specifically what breed of draft horse she is, but she's massively muscular. Her hooves are the circumference of dinner plates. Just incredible. Yet gentle as a kitten. If horses could purr, she'd be purring as Cole patted her nose. She loved it when we patted her face and shooed the flies away from her eyes.  As we rode away, she followed along by the fence as far as she could. I'm sure she was saying, "Don't go. Don't go yet." We rode up around Daniel's Pond and then back the way we came.
 When I took Cole for a bike ride, Heather was heart broken that she couldn't go. She has learned to ride her bike, but the driveway is all she's allowed to do for now.  So to cheer her up, I told her that we  could go to Shadow Lake Beach in the afternoon. They all played at the beach for a while and then Wayne wanted to go fishing, so we went to the camp for a little while.
 As Wayne was fishing, a loon popped up right in front of the dock.




To top off the weekend, strawberry rhubarb pie for Sunday night dessert.

All day, Cole kept saying what a fun weekend this was and that it felt like summer vacation already.  Tomorrow will be a rude awakening when he has to go to school. The countdown begins.

6 comments:

  1. Forgot to mention, Wayne did not catch any fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cole! It does sound like you had a fun weekend. The summer like weather sure helped, too!

    I enjoyed seeing the kids and Wes on Saturday afternoon, but missed you, Darlene. Couldn't believe how brave the kids were to go into Martha's cool pool! Then, I can see from your Shadow Lake pictures that it looked like Heather went in swimming at Shadow Lake as she had wet hair.

    Can't believe Cole can ride all the way up to Daniel's Pond and back.

    Cool that Wayne saw a loon at Shadow.

    Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Laurie Graves had made a strawberry rhubarb pie for Addy's graduation party and had cut the numbers "2012" in the top pie crust. It was the pie that went the first, so you chose a popular pie to bake!

    Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pies, bike riding, hammocks, Shadow Lake, the dock, fishing, loons.....
    Everything we love, and more! That hammock looks great - whose idea was that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene, Mom and I enjoyed all the beautiful photos of the kids having so much fun outside!! Mom and I are yawning, just thinking about stretching out in that big hammock. Hope Heather thinks there is room enough for 3 and will share it with us!! We thought Shadow Lake would be too cold for the kids, but your kids are SUPER KIDS! We think you stayed home from Addy's party and sat on the porch, and ate that yummy pie, all for yourself!! Hee Hee! Looks like it is good enough to eat, so we are looking forward to a slice when we stop by to visit! Love Grammie and Aunt Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific weekend and what a terrific mommy you are!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete