Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Day - No Snow!

It wasn't the warmest Memorial Day we've had, but thank goodness for the sunshine. I don't think I could have stood another moment of cold, rainy, snowy weather. We started out bright and early for the parade in Orleans. Wayne is in the middle school marching band this year. You can see the high school marching band in the background in the brighter blue jackets. Below, Wayne and his friends warm up and get ready to line up.
A member of the VFW passed by handing out flags for children.
A gun salute in honor of our veterans.
The video below is very poor quality. My camera was invented before all digital cameras came with HD video, so you will have a hard time picking Wayne out of the group. Keep in mind that the high school band comes first, then the middle school. (I wish they had separated the two bands more. The two songs jumbled together. In person, you could hear each band distinctly, but in this video it's a jumble of notes.)

There was a bittersweet ceremony on the common after the parade.
Then it was off to the cemetery to plant flowers with a surprise visit from Debbie, John, and Jake.





We topped the day off with an evening baseball game.

It was a beautiful day to spend honoring the souls we love.

4 comments:

  1. Love this blog entry, Darlene! How proud you must have been of Wayne in the parade. His height certainly makes him look like a Middle School Students. Loved Heather with her bouquet of dandelions and the picture of the picnic in the cemetery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to spot Wayne out in the parade!! Not sure what the "Comet" song really is, but it sounded great! What a busy day you all had, from parade, cemetery, to baseball! You must've all slept well that night! Great photos! I will try to send mine soon as I have a nice one of the kids and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, they're playing "Colonel Bogey."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing the band parade I didn't get to see in person! I noticed Heather's little bouquet of dandelions was still on Dad's grave when I went the next day to see how the flowers had survived the cold...they had all made it and looked great! A lovely day!
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete