Saturday, October 9, 2010

Origami Titanic

I've never been a fan of origami.  I should say, I've never been a fan of doing origami.  Seeing the end product of something someone else has done is impressive, but trying to follow all of those step-by-step folding instructions and trying to decipher the diagrams - I can feel the migraine coming on just thinking about it!  However, the other day I stumbled across this book at the library, and how could I pass it up?  Because do you see what it shows on the cover?

In the back of the book are the printed sheets of origami paper that you could use if the book actually belonged to you, but since this was a library book, we had to make our own paper.  Cole paints with watercolors to match the Titanic.

Then we attempt the folding part. I had to practice this beforehand while he was at school, so I would sort of know what I was doing when I helped him.

Here is his final product.

And one that Wayne made. I won't even bother to show you the one Heather made.  She got tired of all the folding steps and decided to cut hers up into little bits with scissors.  Much more fun for a 3-year-old.

Here are just some fall leaf photos.




I only got this one of Wayne before my batteries died.

Bright and sunny but cold today. Off to Wayne's soccer tournament.

9 comments:

  1. The origami titanic project came out great! Both Cole and Wayne's look super. Would have loved to seen the cut up boat that Heather attempted!

    Love the pic of Cole in the leaves with his hunter's plaid coat! And Wayne...tall or what?

    Have fun at the soccer tournament. A lovely day for one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I loved that orgami Titantic! And the raking the leaves photos. Great fun and great pictures, Darleene!
    SAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss that cute picture of Heather in the leaves this morning! Or, did you go back and add it later?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures!! xo auntie La

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures of the kids. I liked how you had to practice the origami folding before Wayne came home. Having never done origami before, I'm not even sure what you were up against. Beautiful fall weeekend... Hope the soccer tourney went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, yes I added the picture of Heather later after I realized I had forgotten it. Couldn't leave it out - it's the cutest one of all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Titanic lives on! Who would have thought there would be an origami titanic! How cool is that for Cole! Glad that your kids like to rake leaves, and jump in them, but will they do the dishes and laundry too? Remember those cold,rainy soccer games, but miss that time of our lives, too! They grow up fast, and Wayne's legs are proof!! Love, the empty nest couple, Martha and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post makes me miss fall, leaves, soccer, cold weather, frost, etc. However I agree that Origami is daunting. Estelle got a kit from Agnes for her birthday and it got "left" at Calvinet. oh too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darlene, I want to become a kid again and come to your house to play...such fun you are having with your kids....lovely photos as usual!
    Happy fall! The heavy rain we had last night turned to snow!!! Tell Wes I said "Go Rangers!"
    Love,
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete