We all had a really nice time at Joanie's for Thanksgiving dinner the other day. We were in charge of making the mashed potatoes. It was a team effort. Heather and I peeled and Wayne cut them up.
Then Cole helped mash them all up.
The turkey was roasted to perfection.
What a feast we all had.
Time for photos.
Peter took this photo. It's been circulating around via email.
And then dessert. (Katie took this pic.)
Joanie, thank you for a wonderful day!
The kids really wanted to decorate for Christmas during the rest of their days off from school. I thought it was still too soon, but we did do a little. Wayne got out some lights and hung them around and we made these glue and glitter snowflake decorations that I learned about at preschool.
The kids really wanted to decorate for Christmas during the rest of their days off from school. I thought it was still too soon, but we did do a little. Wayne got out some lights and hung them around and we made these glue and glitter snowflake decorations that I learned about at preschool.
You "draw" snowflakes on wax paper with school glue. You could put a template underneath to help get the patter right, but that's way too organized for me. We were just winging it.
Sprinkle on some glitter and let dry over night.
Next day, carefully peel from the wax paper and hang. (I know, they look a little like spider webs, but magical, Christmasy spiderwebs, nonetheless.
Heather and I also painted a tree on the window.
Those glitter snowflakes must have brought us good luck, because when we woke up in the morning, the ground was covered with enough snow to go sliding.
Here are a couple of really quick videos to get you in the mood for some winter fun.















I enjoyed this blog with the pictures and videos so much!!
ReplyDeleteI think I remember making those glitter snowflakes either with my own girls or while helping out at preschool once.
Heather's cute red winter hat with the flower attached - did you knit that, Darlene?
Joan's Thanksgiving feast looked so wonderful. Loved the table shot of everyone sitting down to enjoy their meal.
No snow here. Enjoy yours!
Forgot to say that I love the tree that you and Heather painted on the window! Very festive!
ReplyDeleteDarlene, when we saw you today, we forgot to mention that we too loved that tree you and Heather painted on the door. When we were in highschool, I got all of us to make some string dipped in glue/water mixture "snowflakes" that were tied together at each connection...then glittered...we hung them in the big picture window in the kitchen for years. They were not really that cute, but by then, they were family heirlooms!!! Yours look much better!!!
ReplyDeleteGammie and Sam
Yes, Joan, I remember those string dipped snowflakes we made!
ReplyDeleteFirst thing I thought of when I saw this post/the photos was those string dipped snowflakes, made way before my time but revered, cherished, worshipped, with their place of honor hanging from the big picture window in the kitchen. I loved them so! I have ONE here in France, and it always tops my tree, like a star.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of everything! How I love Heather's snow outfit! Did I tell you that when I finally went to order one for Estelle, the sizes were all sold out. Boo hoo! You snooze you lose, ha ha!
Thanks, Darlene, for the wonderful photos of your kids, and Joanie's feast! Love the group photo on the couch! Your kids are so talented, cooking, crafting, and loving being outdoors too! Loved the snowflakes and thought of Joanie teaching us all to make them, years ago. I have made some using BORAX and cotton cooking string. Makes them crystally. Another project to add to your kids list! Love Mart
ReplyDeleteMartha, yes, I just bought some borax and pipe cleaners and we're going to make crystal snowflakes sometime this week. Had intended to do it this weekend but somehow never had the chance.
ReplyDeleteLéna says "That's Heather. That's Wayne. That's Cole. In the snow. Let's go see them after breakfast."
ReplyDelete